The Diplomacy Translator is a document which can be used for when you're playing a game of Face-to-Face Diplomacy, and you and one of your opponents have no common language. It provides all the phrases you are most likely to need during the game.
To create a Diplomacy Translator, follow the following steps:
Currently, five languages are supported. If you would like to provide the translations for a further language, please get in touch with me.
- Download the translator for the two languages you want to translate between.
- Print the two pages of the translator document onto two sides of a single sheet of A4 card.
- Cover both sides of the card with clear sticky-backed plastic.
- Obtain two dry marker pens - the type you use on a Whiteboard. Preferably one black and one red.
There are a few tricks to using the translator:
- Generally, use the front of the card (with the small map) for strategic negotiation, and the back of the card (with the big map) for tactical negotiation.
- Year numbers are not shown - you can write them on the edge of the card as needed, since they are the same in every language...
- On the tactical side of the card, each order type has a symbol against it. You can use these symbols for drawing on the map.
- Make sure you have something to wipe the card clean with, before negotiating with your next opponent!!!
Any comments, suggestions, etc, are welcome. You can contact me at david (at) ellought.demon.co.uk